Sunday, June 08, 2008



Offered on Sri Krsna Janmastami
Veil, chodders and belts so lightly sheer
One of the seamstress’ best efforts
For one of the most important holidays of the year
But time has let the effulgence grow floppy
Like a well broken in pair of blue jeans they curl around their ears
Oh the petal leis go on forever
on into infinity dancing in the sankirtan surrounding
Guru-Gauranga Gandharvika-Giridhari
From the asrama to bow to the ratha-bhojana-vrksa I pedal to the southland. I turn on to the main road and with luck I make the go light. Through the parking lots and crossing the bridge over the first highway, I stop into a shop. The cashierette asks me where I’m off to on this sunny afternoon. “I’ll be meeting the gecko around his shop. Then from there we’ll pedal past the shopper’s corner into the great downtown. We may see a leaping monque and offer him some incense before we go up over the railroad bridge. Sprint by Bhakta Blade’s kutir then to the spinner’s church. We’ll keep the pace up as we pass the navapatra on our way to the natural bridge. Then we’ll enter the marine biology museum and see the skeleton there of the once mighty blue whale and be on our way again. “ Many pedalers are out today. Some teams and some pedaling clubs. Even a family or three smile as we drift past the redwoods that tower ever so high. The sufferer thakura appears on our left wearing fresh lei of daisies. He looks as if he’s been washed recently and shines in the midday sun. A team comes up behind us and greets us as they pass. We go on to see the mountain men show off their latest stuff. He takes his leave as usual to close up his shop leaving me to go on through that treacherous triangle. The house that taught choc-o-lot to talk-a-lot is closed today but my attention is called to the hour which is becoming late. The sandhya is waiting and I must arrive with bells on to make the celebration. As I enter sandhya shakes my hand and smiles. “you thought I was dead, didn’t you?” I ask. He answers “No, I know you’re magic and can easily beat the clock.”
On the ninth day of the waning moon of Kartik SGM took birth. This nightdress was offered for that day some several years ago. It’s still in the best of shape though and Guru-Gauranga Gandharvika-Giridhari are wearing it tonight as they engage in their pastimes and are pleased to take their rest.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home